Sending reports via email to Microsoft Teams

We have a Microsoft Teams channel where it is possible to receive security reports from various sources such as antimalware systems, vulnerability scanning solutions etc.
Microsoft Teams channel has a designated email address, which if configured on the source side, will receive the email and then display it inside the Channel automatically under the Posts tab. Also, inside Microsoft Teams, under Files, there is an automatic folder created for each day when any report arrives- so this acts as a repository system (the actual files are stored on SharePoint automatically).
All of this is out of the box Teams capability.
This setup works fine for all sources except for InsightVM.

With InsightVM, it seems that the pdf/ zip/ html attachments don’t appear in Teams. What appears instead is the email .eml file. So, I am not able to understand how InsightVM (and even Nexpose) is ‘packaging’ the email.

All I see is the subject, and the body of the text and then a link which says “View original email”. Clicking on the link downloads the .eml file instead of downloading the attachment .zip/ .pdf/ .html report which is the actual attachment inside the email (when viewed in Outlook.)

Anyone knows how change that behaviour on InsightVM side?

I’m not super familiar with the actual specifics of how InsightVM packages the file within the email but it may be worth looking into the Advanced settings of the report and review the configuration under Distribution. Depending on how you’re identifying the Teams email the default method to send may be different. For example if you had specified the Teams email as an actual user within IVM and added it to the report distribution under the access list then the default is typically URL instead of file.

Regardless of whether you’re specifying the email through the access list or just additional report recipients, verify that the option on how to attach the report is “file”.

If you have it configured to send as a file and are still experiencing this issue I would recommend opening a support ticket.

Hi John,
Yes, sending it as a ‘file’ and that does not solve the problem.
The receipient email address(s) are not accounts/ users of InsightVM.
Of course, Outlook still renders the emails and attachments as expected.