Scan Engine SQL query failing

First time poster here.

I’m trying to put together some admin type queries to help my team manage assets across multiple engines.

My first attempt was the following:
SELECT ds.name AS “Site Name”,
ds.scan_engine AS “Scan Engine”,
ds.description AS “Routes”,
fs.assets as “Number of Assets”
FROM dim_site ds
JOIN fact_site fs USING(site_id)
ORDER BY ds.name

This failed with a “column scan_engine does not exist”. This is odd since the data warehouse schema shows it in the “Site” group.

So I figured it must have been moved to the “dim_scan_engine” and tried the following:
SELECT ds.name AS “Site Name”,
dse.name AS “Scan Engine”,
fs.assets as “Number of Assets”
FROM dim_site ds
JOIN fact_site fs USING(site_id)
JOIN dim_scan_engine dse USING(scan_engine_id)
ORDER BY ds.name

This one returns a “column “scan_engine_id” specified in USING clause does not exist in left table”.

I’m not well versed in sql query building so any help would be appreciated. What am I missing/doing wrong?

Welcome @dweatherby,

Just a tip, you typically want to start with fact (fact_site) tables and join dim (dim_site) tables from there.

SELECT

ds.site_id
,ds.name as site_name
,ds.scan_engine AS scan_engine
,ds.description as routes
,fs.assets AS number_of_assets

FROM
	fact_site fs
JOIN
	dim_site ds USING(site_id)
ORDER BY 
	ds.name

I’m returning results when using the query (first one) and executing it within the data warehouse environment.

Is it possible you are looking at the data warehouse schema but executing the query in the Security Console?

They have different schemas

1 Like

Thank you for you help. I’ve cleaned up my query using your assistance, thank you.

SELECT ds.site_id,
ds.name AS “Site Name”,
ds.scan_engine AS “Scan engine”,
fs.assets AS “Number of Assets”
FROM fact_site fs
JOIN dim_site ds USING(site_id)
ORDER BY ds.name

It is failing with “column ds.scan_engine” does not exist. The data warehouse schema clearly shows this as a column.

Again, you need to build the query using the Security Console schema

Search for dim_scan_engine in the below docs

https://docs.rapid7.com/insightvm/understanding-the-reporting-data-model-dimensions