Remove duplicate VM webhook?

I was editing an IConn workflow, and (because of not being able to revert changes in a workflow, and things just being draft), I had exported the working work flow, and imported that copy to make changes to, and test it. I enabled that one, and disabled the original.

I made an error in assuming that the “application ID” had changed when I did so, but it appears to have not done so. So I re-ran the JSON to activate the appropriate webhook for VM. Now we’re getting duplicate messages in Slack for those events.

How can I remove the duplicate webhook, and any others that I no longer need?

Are you getting duplicate messages in the SAME Slack channel? As in the same workflow is essentially created twice?

Yeah.

Except it’s a duplicate webhook – created with the same ID. I verified -that- part with Postman.

In an effort to not have an extra 1000-plus notifications to Slack (I logged in to find some 3500 alerts between two work flows, since late Friday), I disabled the one workflow, re-imported it, and verified that THIS time it has a different app ID before I enabled the webhook.

But I would still like to remove the duplicated or unused webhooks.

So within ICON there is no central management for Webhooks. It would be through the workflow itself.

So you either have two workflows doing the same action of the webhook or a single workflow that has multiple steps that both trigger the same webhook.

If you narrowed all of those messages down to a single workflow I wouldn’t cycle through the actions to ensure there isn’t a duplicate action step to trigger that webhook.

This is on the VM webhook side, not IConn.

{
[first webhook],
{
“id”: “31dab35d-07a8-43d1-8e44-a581f01ded22”,
“name”: “Send Remediated Vulnerabilities Message in Slack from InsightVM”,
“destination_url”: “https://us2.api.insight.rapid7.com/connect/v1/execute/async/triggers/95ec8f15-9494-48c3-be54-69a6d59fc63a”,
“owner”: “PLATFORM_USERNAME”,
“secret”: “<>”,
“authentication”: {
“type”: “api-key”
},
“event_subscriptions”: {
“asset”: {
“asset_events”: null,
“vulnerability_events”: {
“asset_vulnerabilities_found”: false,
“asset_vulnerabilities_remediated”: true
}
}
}
},
[unused webhook, needs removed],
[unused webhook, needs removed],
{
[working webhook]
},
{
“id”: “649ec0da-bee7-4182-a035-f23dd2beb03e”,
“name”: “Send Remediated Vulnerabilities Message in Slack from InsightVM”,
“destination_url”: “https://us2.api.insight.rapid7.com/connect/v1/execute/async/triggers/95ec8f15-9494-48c3-be54-69a6d59fc63a”,
“owner”: “PLATFORM_USERNAME”,
“secret”: “<>”,
“authentication”: {
“type”: “api-key”
},
“event_subscriptions”: {
“asset”: {
“asset_events”: null,
“vulnerability_events”: {
“asset_vulnerabilities_found”: false,
“asset_vulnerabilities_remediated”: true
}
}
}
},
{[unused webhook, needs removed]
},
{
[working webhook] },
{[working webhook]
]
}

If you look at the “trigger” URL, it is the same trigger ID. Which sets off the same workflow, twice, as verified by the Jobs queue.

There is no direct integration from InsightVM to Slack so any workflow you created would have had to be something through InsightConnect as far as I understand.

Can you show a screenshot from within the tool what it is you’re looking at?

I asked very specifically on how to delete an extraneous webhook on the InsightVM experimental webhook API.

I would appreciate the command or method to do so.

Good afternoon! This is something that will need to be completed by the support team as there is no public facing documentation around deleting platform related webhooks at this time.

1 Like

Thank you.