Re-order steps within an Insight Connect Workflow

Is there a way to reorder steps within the Workflow Builder?

e.g. if I have 4 steps (A B C D) in a Workflow, is there a way of moving C so that the new order of execution is A C B D, or do I have to delete C and insert a new step with the same functionality after A?

I’ve read Build a Workflow | InsightConnect Documentation but it’s possible I’ve missed something.

One way of achieving reordering would be to download the .icon file and edit fromNodeId/toNodeId in the JSON definition, but it would be convenient to reorder steps from the visual builder if possible.

2 Likes

I’ve asked for a way to do this, or at least “export” and “import” steps.
I usually open a Notepad, copy all the settings from the step, delete the step and recreate. I also have to do this for any major version upgrade.
I’m fine if the ability to move breaks something and it turns yellow, just keep most of my other settings intact.

4 Likes

Thanks @brandon_mcclure. Good point: snipping out the JSON definition at least provides a cheat sheet for recreating the step.

The Workflow Builder canvas is arguably a bit clunky, so it’s a shame it doesn’t offer basic point-and-click GUI functionality like step reordering.

I always duplicate the tab into different windows and then just copy/paste over to where I need it.

2 Likes

Oh that’s interesting. Is it possible to paste a step definition into the GUI?

Sorry, I meant I copy/paste the field values from one window to the other. You still have to go through the process of selecting the action and plugin, but doing it that way made sure I got the syntax correct each time especially for steps where I wanted it to be exactly the same each time.

1 Like

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying @Michael-Cochran-Rapid7.

1 Like

The more I use the Builder, the more I wish that it was possible to reorder steps. It’s a massive drag on productivity to destroy and recreate half of my workflow each time I realize one or two steps might need reordering. An edit which should take a couple of seconds ends up taking 10-15 minutes, and introduces the possibility of making a mistake while recreating the steps.

6 Likes

Hey @dreadpir8robots - definitely understand where you’re coming from. We are actually scoping out a project now with the goal to make it easier to get automation workflows out of the builder and into an active, production ready state. We’d like to enable the reordering or reusing of previously configured elements in some way, as we realize this can be painful! Let me know if you’d be interested in testing out some early ideas & designs.

1 Like

Thank you @claire_hogan. I would be pleased to help test and provide feedback on any potential changes.

3 Likes

Please reach out if you need testers

4 Likes

I should have acknowledged that you also mention reuse of previously configured elements, @claire_hogan. That also sounds really interesting. :+1:

You’re talking about some sort of custom function library for Insight Connect, right? It would be very useful to be able to package up a predefined set of steps which could then be saved as a single custom step for later reuse within other Workflows, rather than having to define the same steps repeatedly.

1 Like

@brandon_mcclure will do! @dreadpir8robots yes! Exactly - we want to eliminate the need for constant duplication of efforts when trying to automate security use cases. Were in the process of determining what that would look like in product, but a library of predefined sets of steps could be a great option

1 Like

Thanks for confirming that’s under consideration. Fully understand it takes time and effort to define what that may end up looking like, and I’ll be interested to see what comes out of the process.

3 Likes

Is there any update to this at all?
Its very frustrating after moving from a competitor product where this was easily done!

The ability to copy Steps and paste them into the current Workflow or any other Workflow has been implemented and I use it all the time, what is your issue? I find the functionality to work great.

Yeah copy and paste is fine, but find that just dragging and dropping to re-order is a better user experience IMO.

I actually like it not being drag and drop, seen to many mistakes where something gets accidentally moved in other applications.