Query, given an asset (or set of assets), what is the breakdown of risk score by category of vulnerability

I have been pulling individual assets, exporting vulnerabilities, and throwing a pivottable for the risk attributable to each “category” of vulnerability. Example:

Workstation123:

• Total Risk
  • Java Risk
  • Flash Risk
  • Adobe Reader Risk
  • Chrome Risk
  • FireFox Risk
  • Edge RIsk
  • Microsoft Patching Risk

(except these are columns in the spreadsheet, but you get the idea)

The idea is take a list of our “dirtiest” assets, and some guidance about what to do about them, rinse repeat. This sheet is our “working” sheet - AssetABC is missing MS patches, AssetCBD needs Adobe upgraded, etc.

Is there any way to pull this sort of information in a SQL report for an asset (or, ideally, a group of assets whose total risk exceeds N risk score)?

Here is logic based on your example.

SELECT 

favf.asset_id
,da.host_name
,SUM(favf.risk_score) AS total_risk
,SUM(favf.risk_score) FILTER (WHERE java.category_name = 'Java' ) AS java_risk
,SUM(favf.risk_score) FILTER (WHERE flash.category_name = 'Adobe Flash' ) AS flash_risk
,SUM(favf.risk_score) FILTER (WHERE reader.category_name = 'Adobe Acrobat/Reader' ) AS adobe_reader_risk
,SUM(favf.risk_score) FILTER (WHERE chrome.category_name = 'Google Chrome' ) AS chrome_risk
,SUM(favf.risk_score) FILTER (WHERE firefox.category_name = 'Mozilla Firefox' ) AS firefox_risk
,SUM(favf.risk_score) FILTER (WHERE edge.category_name = 'Microsoft Edge' ) AS edge_risk
,SUM(favf.risk_score) FILTER (WHERE patch.category_name = 'Microsoft Patch' ) AS microsoft_patch_risk

FROM
	fact_asset_vulnerability_finding favf
JOIN
	dim_asset da ON favf.asset_id = da.asset_id
JOIN
	dim_vulnerability dv ON favf.vulnerability_id = dv.vulnerability_id
LEFT JOIN
	dim_vulnerability_category java ON dv.vulnerability_id = java.vulnerability_id AND java.category_name = 'Java'
LEFT JOIN
	dim_vulnerability_category flash ON dv.vulnerability_id = flash.vulnerability_id AND flash.category_name = 'Adobe Flash'
LEFT JOIN
	dim_vulnerability_category reader ON dv.vulnerability_id = reader.vulnerability_id AND reader.category_name = 'Adobe Acrobat/Reader'
LEFT JOIN
	dim_vulnerability_category chrome ON dv.vulnerability_id = chrome.vulnerability_id AND chrome.category_name = 'Google Chrome'
LEFT JOIN
	dim_vulnerability_category firefox ON dv.vulnerability_id = firefox.vulnerability_id AND firefox.category_name = 'Mozilla Firefox'
LEFT JOIN
	dim_vulnerability_category edge ON dv.vulnerability_id = edge.vulnerability_id AND edge.category_name = 'Microsoft Edge'
LEFT JOIN
	dim_vulnerability_category patch ON dv.vulnerability_id = patch.vulnerability_id AND patch.category_name = 'Microsoft Patch'
-- WHERE
-- 	SUM(favf.risk_score) > /* Can be used as a threshold for risk_score */
GROUP BY
	favf.asset_id
	,da.host_name
ORDER BY
	SUM(favf.risk_score) DESC
-- LIMIT 50; /* Can be used to grab the TOP n assets by total risk-score  */
2 Likes

WOW - I can’t wait to go try this, this is so much more than I was expecting!

Happy to help and feel free to mark it as a solution if it such. - Bob

Thanks, getting “query invalid” but let me work through it, I’m sure it’s something easy.

Solved - all of the ‘favf.risk_score’ (which appears not to exist) need changed to ‘dv.riskscore’ and it works like a charm!

2 Likes

I’ve been looking for something very similar (break down by asset categories - servers/workstations/etc.) and by category (Java, Flash, Chrome, etc.). The earlier responses are really helpful examples to consider.

I also wanted to see trends over time, so I’ve been using
fact_asset_date(‘2021-01-01’, CURRENT_DATE, INTERVAL ‘1 month’)
to try something similar. However, it didn’t take care of the vulnerability_category,in a single query (I had to run multiple reports with different filters and combine in PowerBI) so I hope I can figure out how to combine these concepts.

Glad you were able to troubleshoot.

It is frustrating the DW and Security Console do not share the same backend schema. The script I wrote was in the DW and I confirmed all the tables existed but overlooked possible variances in column names.

@john_hartman - Out of curiosity are there any plans to eventually make this 1:1?

Final Scripts

Security Console:

Note: The SC does not like comments

SELECT 

favf.asset_id
,da.host_name
,SUM(dv.riskscore) AS total_risk
,SUM(dv.riskscore) FILTER (WHERE java.category_name = 'Java' ) AS java_risk
,SUM(dv.riskscore) FILTER (WHERE flash.category_name = 'Adobe Flash' ) AS flash_risk
,SUM(dv.riskscore) FILTER (WHERE reader.category_name = 'Adobe Acrobat/Reader' ) AS adobe_reader_risk
,SUM(dv.riskscore) FILTER (WHERE chrome.category_name = 'Google Chrome' ) AS chrome_risk
,SUM(dv.riskscore) FILTER (WHERE firefox.category_name = 'Mozilla Firefox' ) AS firefox_risk
,SUM(dv.riskscore) FILTER (WHERE edge.category_name = 'Microsoft Edge' ) AS edge_risk
,SUM(dv.riskscore) FILTER (WHERE patch.category_name = 'Microsoft Patch' ) AS microsoft_patch_risk

FROM
JOIN
JOIN
LEFT JOIN
	dim_vulnerability_category java ON dv.vulnerability_id = java.vulnerability_id AND java.category_name = 'Java'
LEFT JOIN
	dim_vulnerability_category flash ON dv.vulnerability_id = flash.vulnerability_id AND flash.category_name = 'Adobe Flash'
LEFT JOIN
	dim_vulnerability_category reader ON dv.vulnerability_id = reader.vulnerability_id AND reader.category_name = 'Adobe Acrobat/Reader'
LEFT JOIN
	dim_vulnerability_category chrome ON dv.vulnerability_id = chrome.vulnerability_id AND chrome.category_name = 'Google Chrome'
LEFT JOIN
	dim_vulnerability_category firefox ON dv.vulnerability_id = firefox.vulnerability_id AND firefox.category_name = 'Mozilla Firefox'
LEFT JOIN
	dim_vulnerability_category edge ON dv.vulnerability_id = edge.vulnerability_id AND edge.category_name = 'Microsoft Edge'
LEFT JOIN
	dim_vulnerability_category patch ON dv.vulnerability_id = patch.vulnerability_id AND patch.category_name = 'Microsoft Patch'
-- WHERE
-- 	SUM(dv.riskscore) > /* Can be used as a threshold for risk_score */
GROUP BY
	 favf.asset_id
	,da.host_name
ORDER BY
	SUM(dv.riskscore) DESC

Data Warehouse:

SELECT 

favf.asset_id
,da.host_name
,SUM(favf.risk_score) AS total_risk
,SUM(favf.risk_score) FILTER (WHERE java.category_name = 'Java' ) AS java_risk
,SUM(favf.risk_score) FILTER (WHERE flash.category_name = 'Adobe Flash' ) AS flash_risk
,SUM(favf.risk_score) FILTER (WHERE reader.category_name = 'Adobe Acrobat/Reader' ) AS adobe_reader_risk
,SUM(favf.risk_score) FILTER (WHERE chrome.category_name = 'Google Chrome' ) AS chrome_risk
,SUM(favf.risk_score) FILTER (WHERE firefox.category_name = 'Mozilla Firefox' ) AS firefox_risk
,SUM(favf.risk_score) FILTER (WHERE edge.category_name = 'Microsoft Edge' ) AS edge_risk
,SUM(favf.risk_score) FILTER (WHERE patch.category_name = 'Microsoft Patch' ) AS microsoft_patch_risk

FROM
JOIN
JOIN
LEFT JOIN
LEFT JOIN
LEFT JOIN
LEFT JOIN
LEFT JOIN
LEFT JOIN
LEFT JOIN
-- WHERE
-- 	SUM(favf.risk_score) > /* Can be used as a threshold for risk_score */
GROUP BY
	favf.asset_id
	,da.host_name
ORDER BY
	SUM(favf.risk_score) DESC

There are no plans to make these 1:1

The data warehouse schema does have slight performance improvements to the way that the tables are created and things of that nature. I see no improvements coming to the console itself as most of those efforts are geared more towards moving to the cloud native approach.

1 Like

Exactly what I was looking for as well. Thank you.