Nexpose Virtual Appliance Console stuck @ 22% initializing datastore (after Ubuntu Distro upgrade)

We have a Nexpose Virtual Appliance (VMware) and needed to upgrade the Ubuntu OS to the latest supported release 20.04. We did the step upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04 LTS just fine and verified the console and services worked, but after doing the upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04, the console hangs on 22%: Initializing datastore.

If you’re still experiencing this issue I would recommend opening a support case for assistance.

Some troubleshooting steps I might suggest thought would be to bounce the VM again. Just simply reboot the whole the VM and see if the console starts this time. If it does not you can look through the nsc.log to see what exact steps it’s taking, if there’s any errors in the log, etc.

If something got corrupted you could always reinstall if you had a local backup to pull from. You would simply copy out your latest backup to a separate directory and then uninstall/reinstall the security console with the latest installer and try again.

Did you happen to get this particular issue resolved via a support case?
We are actually running across the same issue you are, and wanted to know if you happened to resolve it in a particular manner.

I just went through this exact same thing (upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04 to 20.04 and getting stuck at 22% initializing datastore). I opened a case with Rapid7 and was able to get it fixed. Per Support, it appeared from the logs that the DB service user is asking for a password update, yet the password ought to be configured so that it never expires.

Below are the steps they provided:

1. SSH into the server and run the command: chage -I -1 -m 0 -M 99999 -E -1 nxpgsql
    (This should set the password not to expire.)

2. Please then run the command:
    sudo -u nxpgsql /opt/rapid7/nexpose/nsc/nxpgsql/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /opt/rapid7/nexpose/nsc/nxpgsql/nxpdata start

3. Run: systemctl start nexposeconsole

4. Reboot the server

This worked for us…hope it helps others.