New Hobbies?

I know a lot of people have picked up new hobbies in the past year given the circumstances - everything from knitting to learning a new language, to cooking and whatever else.

In my case I’ve been doing more fiction writing and branching out into new genres (like good ol murder mystery), and also playing badminton. For some reason, badminton is really satisfying and easy to get into (though if you ever watch competitive badminton, it’s kind of terrifying).

So, have you picked up any new hobbies in the past year?

4 Likes

Nice! I miss volleyball but it’s definitely been a good year to pick up hobbies. I’ve started reading more again which has been enjoyable. On my 8th book since January :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I do love a good book too @jon_schipp! I’ve picked up the guitar again but I only play songs that I can sing in a falsetto! Practicing for karaoke nights once that becomes a thing again :joy_cat:

2 Likes

I’ve started learning piano very slowly, it’s been fun to learn and has made the year spent inside go a bit quicker :sweat_smile:
Any book recommendations @jon_schipp ?

2 Likes

My son and I have been painting our Warhammer 40k armies and going on RPG adventures.

@holly_wilsey have you ever tried “Alone Among the Stars” ( Alone Among the Stars by Takuma Okada (itch.io))?
It is kind of a journaling prompt game where you use the randomness of a deck of cards to write about a place you discovered.

3 Likes

I miss doing tabletop RPGs. I have a friend who’s a really good DM, just a natural at creating so many different adventures for us. The last one we did pre-pandemic was in outer space, and our group was plagued by visions of mind flayers while we tried to save various planets in the galaxy… Ahhh, good times.

Ooh, I haven’t heard of this before, but it looks really neat. I just checked their Twitter and it looks like they have prompts there too you can follow as part of the exploration. It seems very relaxing, writing-wise.

1 Like

I’m currently reading The Hacker and the State: Cyber Attacks and the New Normal of Geopolitics which has an interesting thesis around cyberattacks failing to signal effectively like conventional warfare attacks.

3 Likes

Must pick this up! Anymore books you could recommend for someone that’s pretty new to Cybersecurity?

1 Like

I took the time to finish my movie accurate remote controlled R2D2 and R5D4 droids, and have taken up making D&D dice.

I need cheaper hobbies.

1 Like

My friend was looking at getting into D&D dice-making, and the kit + materials I saw for it weren’t the cheapest :grimacing:

Some of the designs people do are just phenomenal though. I’ve been looking at these for one of my characters.

I got a blood spattered set for playing Call of Catthulhu with but recently picked up playing Unwritten which is in the Myst universe and uses the FATE system that uses more of a binary method that we have resorted to the flipping of a coin. Malifaux always drew me in with its Victorian theme and the use of a deck of cards instead of dice.
I’ve also played around with Twine (https://twinery.org/) for creating choose your own adventure type games (Anyone using InsightConnect would find this application very easy to pick up)

1 Like

I’ve played around with Twine a bit too, it seems pretty cool. I read a bunch of choose your own adventure stories as a kid, especially the Goosebumps ones, and when I found Twine it made me want to write my own Goosebumps-esque story. :laughing:

Ahh, R.L. Stine, the door buster of the scholastic book fair. The highlight of the 90’s school years was getting that cool new eraser that didn’t work and one of the 20 new books he put out that year.
Memories…

1 Like

You basically just described my childhood! I had a whole box of these things, including the DARE one

2 Likes