InsightVM Query Builder Load dialog is small, truncates text

The ability to name/save and later retrieve queries built with the InsightVM Query Builder is very useful. However, the search dialog which appears when you click Load is tiny and thus very hard to use, and I wonder if it needs to be.

This isn’t the only instance across the Platform where the web UI/UX seems unnecessarily restrictive, but this search dialog is small enough that it’s quite tricky to look for saved Queries where the name is longer than about 20 characters. As it’s often useful to include a CVE ID (14-15 characters) in the name, that doesn’t leave a lot for description.

Right now, when I search for queries which contain the word “Chrome”, it looks like this:

The truncation of the name and the query make it difficult to know what each query does without loading it individually. All 5 Query name values get truncated. In this case, 4 of the 5 visible queries do fit within the Query Text column, but it’s not unusual for queries to be long enough to get truncated.

The dialog is always 600px wide and 150px high, whether my browser is running maximized on a smaller screen (1920x1080) or a slightly larger one (2560x1440).

I can temporarily make the dialog much bigger by changing a couple of values using browser developer tools:

All I did was change this:

<div style="height: 300px; width: 600px; z-index: 60; position: absolute; top: 0px; left: 0px; transform: translate3d(1692px, 127px, 0px); will-change: transform;">

to this:

<div style="height: 600px; width: 1800px; z-index: 60; position: absolute; top: 0px; left: -1200px; transform: translate3d(1679px, 127px, 0px); will-change: transform;">

This makes the dialog much easier to use, without any apparent downside. In fairness, this expanded view also highlights that some of the Query Names we’re using contain a lot of unnecessary words - probably don’t need to include the words “Remediate” or “Vulnerability” - so that’s something we can work on.

I know that changes which seem straightforward to the user/customer are often much more challenging to implement than they might seem. Still, I have to wonder if this dialog could be made bigger, ideally resizing adaptively with the size of the browser window rather than remaining at a static 600x300 pixels.