Identifying Assets without Agent

Hi All,

Other than manually exporting asset lists and agents with hosts to do a cross-comparison, has anyone found a good way to discover hosts on the network that are lacking an InsightAgent?

hello! you could possibly do a discovery scan with nexpose. the nice thing about this is it won’t count against your total asset license (assuming your a nexpose/insightvm customer).

Hey @rford

I’m with the Insight Platform product team. Thanks for your question, we’re currently exploring the value of introducing a product-agnostic view of all of the assets in your environment. Would you be open to joining us for a research interview so we can better understand your needs and challenges? Sessions last up to 60 minutes via Zoom – if interested, would you or a team member have any availability between January 11-21?

– Andy

isn’t this what a discovery scan is?

Thanks for flagging, I should clarify my last post – for this particular milestone we’re focussing on asset identification and inventory, which goes hand-in-hand with asset discovery.

1 Like

Hi Andy,

I’d love to discuss it more, can you reach out to me via email?

Super thanks – look out for an email from us shortly.

As an InsightPlatform customer we do this in InsightVM with a custom tag that is configured to apply to any asset where the “Software name” field does not contain “Rapid 7”

For this to be effective, you need to complete an authenticated scan of the assets with a scan engine.

Hi @andy_robinson_platform_ux, if you need further interview partners, I’d be up to! :wink:

We discover assets without agents or outdates agent version with another software solution, but it would be great to have a general overview of everything IP-based inside our network and to see which asset has an working/not working agent installed would be very helpfull.

Hey @RHolzer, we’d be really happy to invite you to join an interview!
I’ll send you an email with some details on how to sign up. Thanks for your interest!

1 Like

If you’re also running insightVM, you can do a search there for anything that’s been found that doesn’t have the endpoint agent key. If you’re not running insightVM, then this obviously won’t help.

agent key = null

this will give you asset without agent if you have insightVM

1 Like