Dynamic asset tagging alternatives

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there is a way to dynamically tag assets based on the asset name itself. For instance, my company uses an assets hostname in the naming convention to identify the spoke of each individual asset (ex DBA = Database team). Was thinking if there was a way to dynamically group assets solely based on the naming convention.

Absolutely. Typically speaking that’s the first option when creating a dynamic tag through the filtered asset search.

Click create up in the top right of the page and select “Dynamic Asset Group” to bring up the filtered asset search. Use the criteria like shown in the screenshot to say Asset name starts with DBA and then click search. The list of assets that fit your criteria will be displayed. Now click on “ADD TAGS” and give your tag a name then hit “ADD”.

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 9.18.35 AM

Thank you for the swift response!

I did come across situations where abbreviations where in the 8th and 9th place out of 14 character count. Find instance xxxxxxxDBAxxxx, would it be possible to filter out that abbreviation with the current filters in place?

ideally if you’re using the “starts-with” operator then you shouldn’t have that issue. Can you share a screenshot of what you’re running into?

If you can fit your criteria into a regex query, then ‘Asset Name’ LIKE works well for me, as I do exactly what you’re suggesting where the system owners have abbreviations part way through the asset name, I then apply tags accordingly.