Cannot install 'icon-plugin', Getting Started (maybe due to Apple Silicon M1?)

We are trying to start development on a InsightConnect plugin,
but cannot successfully install the required ‘icon-plugin’, the very first step,
on debian Linux it says E: Unable to locate package icon-plugin,
on macOS it says: Invalid formula: /opt/homebrew/Library/Taps/rapid7/homebrew-icon-plugin-homebrew/icon-plugin.rb

Has this ‘icon-plugin’ been optimized for the Apple Silicon M1 chipped machines?
Or are we missing some further configuration?
Thanks in advance.
Peter

1 Like

Hi Peter,

I suspect it won’t work on a M1 system. On an intel-based mac, you should be able to install it fine with:

$ brew tap rapid7/icon-plugin-homebrew GitHub - rapid7/icon-plugin-homebrew: Homebrew Tap for icon-plugin. A tool for creating InsightConnect plugins

$ brew install icon-plugin

The above is from: Getting Started | InsightConnect Documentation

If you want to use Linux, I think you will have to use Debian 9 still but I could be wrong.

Thanks,
Matt

1 Like

Unfortunately or otherwise,
but our whole team just got upgraded to M1,
but thank you for the suggestions, will try them,
will try the ‘emulation’ feature in UTM,
and worst case scenario we will run the appropriate hardware in AWS.

Thanks,
Peter

Peter,
We are working on the supporting M1 Mac. We have the binary available and currently under testing. If you need the binary, kindly provide your email id or mail your information to “bindu_laxminarayan@rapid7.com”. Happy to share the binary while it is still under testing.

Thanks
Bindu

2 Likes

Thank you Bindu,
Sent you an e-mail from peter_kuik@trendmicro.com

Kind regards,
Peter

Hi, I am also encountering the same issue on Ubuntu 20.04.5 (server) and the same on WSL/Ubuntu.
d3nZwENyum

I followed the documentation on Getting Started | InsightConnect Documentation which produced the above output. This is on a clean install of Ubuntu Server 20.04.5.

Any advice or troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

@kc1
So far I have verified that Debian 9 in a VM can run the plugin,
as mentioned above by Matt.

Peter,
M1 mac package support is deployed to brew. You should be able to install from brew now.

Steps to install from brew:
$ brew tap rapid7/icon-plugin-homebrew GitHub - rapid7/icon-plugin-homebrew: Homebrew Tap for icon-plugin. A tool for creating InsightConnect plugins
$ brew install icon-plugin

Kindly let us know if you run into any issues.

2 Likes

Thank you Bindu :slight_smile:
Much appreciated.