Vulnerability Age filter in report

Hello Team,

I hope you are all doing well!!

I am looking for an option to add a vulnerability age filter while creating a report. For example, I want to create a report with the below-mentioned filters:

CVSS score > 7
Vulnerability age > 90 days

Appreciated your help and thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Parth Khundiwala

vulnerability.cvssScore > 7 && vulnerability.datePublished < /NOW - P90D/

I don’t see “vulnerability.datePublished < /NOW - P90D/” option while generating report.

This you should be run in Query builder not under reports section.

vulnerability.cvssScore > 7 && vulnerability.datePublished < /NOW - P90D/

That’s correct. I am getting these options in the query builder. But I need this option in the report section as I need to pull the report with this filter and eventually we will reduce the days from 90 to 60 and 30.

@pkhundiwala

The simplest way is a custom SQL report. I have included a step-by-step for you to learn how to do this yourself.

Step by step:

1. Click reports
  2. Click new
  3. Click all tab
  4. In search templates search box search for SQL
  5. Click the SQL Query Export report
  6. Click the box that says click to define or edit a query, and preview the results.
  7. Click on the ? next to define a SQL query
  8. Select Vulnerability Findings
  9. Find the last line that starts with order by
  10. Insert a new line above the last line where dv.date_published > current_date - interval '90 days'

TIP: when testing SQL, sometimes it can take a while. To save time. Scope The report to a small site, asset group, or a small number of assets before doing a preview or running the query.

When you get done it should look like this

SELECT ds.name AS site, da.ip_address, da.host_name, da.mac_address, dv.title AS vulnerability_title, dv.severity, 
   round(dv.cvss_score::numeric, 2) AS cvss_score, round(dv.riskscore::numeric, 0) AS risk 
FROM fact_asset_vulnerability_finding favf 
   JOIN dim_asset da USING (asset_id) 
   JOIN dim_operating_system dos USING (operating_system_id) 
   JOIN dim_vulnerability dv USING (vulnerability_id) 
   JOIN dim_site_asset dsa USING (asset_id) 
   JOIN dim_site ds USING (site_id)
where dv.date_published < current_date - interval '90 days'  
ORDER BY da.ip_address ASC, dv.title ASC

If you want to learn more SQL reporting, I would recommend messing around with the sample reports that are included in step 7 above, then looking up the tables below on the web links. Try and add or remove a field for one of the tables that are included. Next thing you know you will be making your own from scratch. If you get stuck, google try your best. post what you are trying here, it is easier to help someone if they share what they are struggling with.

Take a look at
https://docs.rapid7.com/nexpose/creating-reports-based-on-sql-queries
https://docs.rapid7.com/nexpose/understanding-the-reporting-data-model-dimensions
https://docs.rapid7.com/nexpose/understanding-the-reporting-data-model-facts

3 Likes

Hi @troy_newcomb,

Thanks for the detailed explanation and for sharing the final query. I am trying to edit the query and add a condition where the CVSS score is greater than equals 7. However, facing some challenges (that is because of not having hands-on on SQL queries).

@pkhundiwala
You can add this to the where

and dv.cvss_score >= 7

SELECT ds.name AS site, da.ip_address, da.host_name, da.mac_address, dv.title AS vulnerability_title, dv.severity, 
   round(dv.cvss_score::numeric, 2) AS cvss_score, round(dv.riskscore::numeric, 0) AS risk 
where dv.date_published < current_date - interval '90 days' and dv.cvss_score >= 7  
1 Like

Thanks a lot, @troy_newcomb your SQL queries really helped me. :blush:

To further narrow down the results, I have added “dos.description LIKE ‘MICROSOFT’” to the query, and the final query is as below. However, not getting any output.

SELECT ds.name AS site, da.ip_address, da.host_name, da.mac_address, dv.title AS vulnerability_title, dv.severity, dos.description AS operating_system,
where dv.date_published < current_date - interval ‘90 days’ and dv.cvss_score >= 7 and dos.description LIKE ‘MICROSOFT’

Ok. I did multiple trials and errors and was able to get the right query. Below is the one.

SELECT ds.name AS site, da.ip_address, da.host_name, da.mac_address, dv.title AS vulnerability_title, dv.severity, dos.description AS operating_system,
where dv.date_published > current_date - interval ‘90 days’ and dv.cvss_score >= 7 and dos.description LIKE ‘%Microsoft Windows%’ is true

1 Like

Next, I am trying to get the “Vulnerability age in day” column in the report.

@pkhundiwala

Nice job getting like to work. like is case sensitive as I can see you worked around that issue.

Postgres has a function just like like that does a case insensitive search, it is called ilike.

See the documentation page here. PostgreSQL: Documentation: 11: 9.7. Pattern Matching

1 Like

Hi @troy_newcomb,

Could you please help me to get the “Vulnerability age in days” column?

@pkhundiwala

round(dv.cvss_score::numeric, 2) AS cvss_score, round(dv.riskscore::numeric, 0) AS risk, round (age_in_days::numeric, 0) as age_in_days
join fact_asset_vulnerability_age fava using (asset_id, vulnerability_id)
where dv.date_published > current_date - interval '90 days' and dv.cvss_score >= 7 and dos.description LIKE '%Microsoft Windows%' is true
1 Like

Thank you @troy_newcomb. This is really helpful. :blush:

Hi @Troy_newcomb,

When I validate the query, the query seems to be working fine however I am unable to pull the report. When I try to run the report is getting aborted. I am trying to pull the report for a custom tag which has around 187 assets.

Any idea what could be the reason? is it because of server resources?

Thanks,
Parth

You should share your query and put in preformatted text looks like </>
Try a preview after you validate the SQL.
Reduce the scope of the report to one asset that you know should have vulnerabilities. Maybe try on a small site or another tab.

It could be resources. If you want to share your show host output from https://docs.rapid7.com/nexpose/using-the-command-console/. That may help understand the resources. I would mask out the name and IP when posting in public

It is possible that it is resources.

Previewing and validation of the SQL query work fine. Yes, it does take time to get the results when we preview, but it gives the results.

I believe you are interested in seeing the below out for the “show host” command.

Looks like you have disk space.

Try to start with a fresh report and try again.