Google Chrome Version Detection

:slight_smile: In any case, it was exciting to work extensively with PowerBI. The data warehouse function and the excellent documentation of the data warehouse schemas were extremely helpful. This was one of the reasons why we decided to implement Rapid7 :slight_smile:
Sorry for the off topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad to hear our data warehouse schema documentation was helpful for you @david_altanian! I’ll make sure to pass that information along to our Engineers who originally wrote this, I’m sure they’ll be happy to hear this <3

1 Like

All - I am happy to report that the current ETA on the workaround fix for this issue to ship with our product release is on 7/21/21! We have added an additional check to our Google Enterprise Chrome fingerprinting to attempt to work around Chrome issues where deployment via SCCM or similar software deployment technologies has the potential to report an incorrect version. :tada: Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

1 Like

Hi Gina, great news. Thanks for the update. At my last scan on 13.07. google Chrome was only detected incorrectly on 53 Windows 10 1909 clients out of a total of 5500 checked clients. The next scan will take place on 27.07. I will report again as soon as I have the results.

1 Like

One day away from this shipping, I wanted to share more details about how this workaround is functioning for you all:

We are now collecting an additional registry location, specifically the: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Google\\Update\\ClientState\\ key, we are then checking every subkey of this key and linking it to the uninstaller keys we already gather via the EnterpriseProduct key as this key and the uninstaller key share the same UID, if we get a link between the Clientstate key and the Uninstaller key we will fingerprint from the Clientstate keys information as from the customer data we have received it has not been affected by the same bug. One caveat of this fix is that the Update keys don’t exist until an update is taken and applied on the system.

Just in case anyone was interested in the solution details, we figured it would be better to have the information available! I just wanted to thank @david_altanian & @gabe_verrault for your help and to our moose Sam D for all of your due diligence and partnership throughout this issue - I am so fortunate I get to work with so many amazing folks every day! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the details and keeping us up to date! This will help us greatly to better understand the results after the next scan on our site. I consider the exchange here on this platform to be incredibly valuable. :+1:

2 Likes

hey folks, I just wanted to check in after this shipped to ask how things were looking now? Are we seeing significant improvement? :crossed_fingers:

Hi Gina
I forgot to give you a short feedback before I went on vacation. On the last scan of 24/07/2021, I can confirm that no more false positives were reported. all Chrome installations were detected correctly. Thanks for the quick solution.
Best regards
David

2 Likes